January 29, 2016
Healthspek How-to: Medication Management Tools
Awhile back, we wrote a blog post about Healthspek's medication management features to share the various ways your personal electronic health record can help you track and manage multiple medications.
According to a Mayo Clinic study funded by the National Institute on Aging, nearly 70 percent of Americans are prescribed to at least one medication, while more than half are taking more than one prescription medication. Medication mismanagement--medication that is misused, incorrectly prescribed or a prescription that goes unfilled--costs our nation billions each year.
Whether you're a senior, a chronic disease sufferer or a caregiver, managing multiple medications is hard, but we want to make it easier on you to keep track of refill dates, doctor's instructions, dosages and more.
Follow the simple steps below to begin taking advantage of Healthspek's medication management tools. And remember to reach out to us here if you have any questions or would like a copy of more How-tos.
- If you already have a Healthspek account, sign in. If not, go here and create a free account.
- Listing and entering medication information.
- Go to myRecords via the menu on the top or the left hand side.
- Select Medications from the drop-down menu options.
- To add a new medication...
- Click Add New in the upper right hand corner.
- Fill in the information as directed.
- To edit an existing medication...
- Simply select the medication listing, and begin editing.
- To attach an image to your prescription...
- Take a picture of the prescription medicine bottle with camera and upload it to your computer.
- When editing the medication, click on Add Attachment and upload the image.
- To set a refill reminder...
- When editing a medication, select your choice of email or text to receive notifications when due for a refill.
Make sure you have the the medication refill spek and the medication reminder spek visible on your personal dashboard to better manage your medications. To do this, either click on the small square group near the top panel and select visible speks, or select Add New Spek at the bottom of your dashboard.
The refill spek's primary function is to fax or send a request to the pharmacy of your choice when it's near the time to refill your prescription. In order for this to work properly, be sure to enter your prescriptions' next refill dates in the spek, as well as the pharmacy's fax number. To ensure your prescriptions are being refilled, call the pharmacy to follow up on the refills.
You can also customize the medication reminder by turning your reminders on or off and editing or removing reminders. Reminders can be programmed to be sent in either email form or by text message.
Visit our Learning Center here to watch step-by-step tutorials on the other tools and features available through Healthspek. And if you have any questions about your personal account, or want a PDF How-to on this topic, please don't hesitate to reach out to us here.
- Entrepreneur of the Week: Randy Farr, Healthspek, Co-Founder & CEO—The Longevity Network
- HealthIT: Brentwood-based Healthspek eyes $1.5MM Series A capraise—Venture Nashville Connections
- Consumer Health Platform Healthspek Launches Precision Medicine—Yahoo! Finance
- Consumer Health Platform Healthspek Launches Precision Medicine—BusinessWire
- Must-Have Gear For Traveling With Kids—Daily Parent